Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Horses I Can Help

A few months ago I got a call from a client who had a neighbor with two horses in bad need of hoof trims.  I got in touch with the neighbor and made an appointment to trim the horses.  When I went out to trim the horses, this what I saw - very neglected feet.  These two horses had not received hoof care in many months and they were in a very lush green pasture.  I had to blink back tears as it was so sad to see these two horses hooves.  By the condition of the horses I am sure they both had chronically foundered, both from lack of hoof care and too much time on pasture. The owner was very apologetic and said she didn't realize their feet had gotten so bad.  We discussed getting the horses on a regular trim schedule and about limiting their time on the lush pasture grass.  She assured me that she would keep the horses on a trim schedule with me coming out to trim them at least every six weeks.  Then the owner had to leave for a medical appointment, leaving my client to handle the horses for me.

 Both horses were very well behaved and quite stoic - I am sure they were pretty footsore.  Trims like what I did on these horses are difficult and take longer - the normal landmarks of the hoof become distorted and there was so much hoof that needed trimming that I wished I had a small saw.  I had to trim them in the tall grass, as they were more comfortable standing on softer ground, but one of the horses allowed me to put him on the gravel for a moment to take a few photos.  I got them both trimmed and gave an appointment card to my client that she would pass on to the horses' owner. 

A couple of days before the horses scheduled appointment I called the owner to remind her of the upcoming trim appointment and she said she'd be there for me to get the horses trimmed.  She had been pleased that the horses were getting around more easily and that their hooves were looking better.  However, the night before the appointment she called and left a voicemail, cancelling the appointment, and not wishing to schedule for a later time.  I called her a few days later but only reached her voicemail and she never did return my call. 

I felt frustrated that I was unable to do more for these two sweet horses.  It also made me realize that I will not be able to help every horse, but to work hard to help those I can. 

I can help my regular clients to have healthy, sound horses.  That is why I am firm about keeping horses on an appropriate trimming schedule. When I am with a client and I see issues with the health of the hooves that are related to the horse's diet and or environment, and I suggest changes,  I'm not trying to criticize his or her horsekeeping skills, but rather to help and to educate for the better health of their equine friends.  The horses I can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment